8.10.2007

life is an abstract

Picasso's La Danse 1925



When I was a kid my parents had a poster of this. I vaguely remember it at our old townhouse in Newark (Cali, not Jersey). Either that or my mind is placing it in a memory of when I probably wasn't older then 4.

I took a lot of art classes growing up. Ceramics was my favorite. I thought if I could make a pinch pot I could make anything. Paint classes were always the roughest. I had a hard time making something out of something that wasn't already found. The total freedom of my mind being able to create whatever it is that I could think up, it was just too much for me. It stressed me out.

Abstract art was always something that was a big ___?___. As a kid I wasn't ever really sure what it meant. Something about life taking on new form in the way of shapes and colors was something I just couldn't get my mind to visualize.

Running across an artists' site today made me revisit this long-standing question, but now as a photorapher: what is abstract?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your text is too small... i can barley read it

kristina barker said...

i could read it!!

i made it a little bigger. is that easier to read?