7.03.2006

Busy busy weekend

My neighbor from back home in p-town is totally on this week's through the lens on sfgate, photographed by Deanne Fitzmaurice .. such a small little world.


It'll be rough coming back to the Bay. You guys don't have mountains like this! I'm getting way too used to living up here. I love it.


Started the weekend off with some early celebrations at the elementary school along with a fireworks safety speech by the Fire Marshall and an odd Uncle Sam.

Spent two days in Portland. Hung out downtown for a bit, cruised the blues fest real fast, hung out by the fountain and then sat in tons of traffic to get to the Grams and Gramps' house. Didn't make any snappies because it was too hot!! I thought that if I left Cali I'd leave the 95 degree weather behind. I was totally wrong. Then off to Schwingfest. There is nothing like Swedish wrestling. If it's ever in your area, check it out.



Made these pics the next day at the South Sound Speedway. Damn early deadlines. I was only able to shoot qualifying laps instead of the actual race.


Worked my way up to the flaggers deck to make these shots. I'd never seen old street cars on a track.


Saturday night I went up to Mt. St. Helens to meet up with some people from the research institute. Camped out sans tent at a private campsite. We were the first people to spend the night there! So much better to fall asleep counting satellites instead of big rigs rumbling by. The next day we headed down the road a bit to meet up with a group that was there for a class on butterflies and the buckwheat plant. I learned a whole lot about bugs that I never knew and watched some completely ecstatic adults run around with butterfly nets. Made some okay pics. And now... the rough part.. I get to write an article to go along with it!! This is when I channel Yumi Wilson and Tom Johnson for all their writing expertise. This guy in the straw hat with the denim shirt is Bob Pile, our butterfly guru extraordinaire.


A guy insisted on taking my picture when I was checking out one of the blue butterflies. This made me realize that I need to ditch my softball visor and get a more legit hat that is less of a walking advertisement. And you know you're a total photo geek when you have a camera strap tan line around your neck.











And one of the things I love most about this newspaper: Monday's outtakes page!! It's huuuge!


Had to make this snap to show the park decorated. Doesn't make for much when the only part that is decorated is away from all the activities going on. Tomorrow is the Fourth and oh man does Washington have way better fireworks than California!!

No comments: