7.26.2006

Busy bee


This is Joe Lutes. He was in a quading accident last year. His doctors told him and his mother that he had an 80% chance of being vegetative for the rest of his life. After months of intense physical therapy and a lot of support from his loved ones, Lutes can once again walk, speak a little and has also regained his cognitive skills. He still has a ways to go before he can take care of himself without any aide, but he is ready to go home.


He was sitting up so straight most of the time. I liked this because it just shows how he is so used to the routine with his physical therapist.


Tough to get his mom in a shot, but here she is learning about what kind of exercises she can help him do when he is living at home.


I milked a goat this morning!! So much fun. I could seriously live on a farm for the rest of my life. So, if anyone wants to move to Washington and start a farm with me, give me a call. But alas, no picture of me with a goat. I had too many assignments to get to and this was pre-caffine. The gal on the right is Lizzie Barnts. She owns Full Circle Farms. A business not too far from her property has been inching its way closer to the farm and has already pushed out a dairy farm. That farm had been there for 4 generations.


I didn't try the fresh goat milk. A guy there kept telling me I should have a big glass. A huge glass of goat milk sans breakfast? No thanks man.


This is Moonlight. Spunky little guy. He was following me around the barn and I was so ready to scoop him up and take him home. Adam said no dog but he never said no goats!


This is from yesterday. Robin had a story to do about BBQ'ing for the Your Home section. We cruised around the area until we found people at parks and campgrounds. This family was really strange. Overall it was a very uncomfortable experience. It was just strange. Weird kids and weird parents. And the light was so hard to work with. Super hot behind them and totally in the shade.


Went to Burnt Ridge MX track this morning. Hung out with Nick who is the son of the owner of the track. He's been a pro rider for 4 years. He's had so many surgeries and injuries that I would have to use my fingers and toes to count them all. Most recently he broke his leg. Right now he has two metal plates and several screws holding it all together.


And check him out, ain't he cute?


This kid was working at the track, cleaning up dirt around the starting gates. No racing happening there this week. What a great week to do a story on a race track, right?


This was my last assignment that I just came from and OH MY GOD was it frustrating. This doctor had NO idea what i was talking about when I was like, "Yeah just do whatever you would normally be doing." He kept being like, "Where should I stand? What do you want them to do? What do you want me to do? Well this might be something I might do." He was practically narrating his ignorance to me. First person I've ever run into that had no idea what my job meant. His patient, the nurse, and myself were getting so frustrated with him. And this poor girl was in so much pain.

We made a bunch of salad today for the food section. I can't even remember how many free lunches I've gotten due to company freebies and food stories. It's awesome.

No comments: